Sunday, August 8, 2010

Back in Blog Again

Donna is back in the blog. Reset password - possibly to what password was originally. Sent myself email reminder of password. Added blog dashboard to favorites. (Slowly I turned. Step by step . . .)

Yesterday, Saturday, went to wedding in Magnolia. Ate McD's (3)chicken selects, (3) honeys, 1/2 order of fries, diet coke. wedding reception - cake, punch, cupcake. Back to McD's again - berry smoothy - not as good as homemade. Dinner - leftover p.h. peas/ cornbread / (4) boiled new potatoes (butter). Steve baked pnb cookies - ate 4 with tea. Not a successful day.

Sunday - so far. pnb toast/tea. diet w/lime coke, ffPringles. not too bad.

Starting on Monday, right? Tomorrow. YES!

ES should be home tonight from El Do. Need to PLAN food for tomorrow. Planning ahead is important for success. Also, getting rid of junk food in house. So, I better eat the last of my ice cream today! Not what weight watchers recommends.

ES and Luna like the following recipe (R/C/U&U eats it. It's OK) Tasha, Doug, and Morgan love it. Leftovers have lots of uses. I call it VeggieMex for lack of better name.)

VeggieMex
Combine in saucepan over medium heat. Heat uncovered, stirring as needed.
2 cans of tomatos and jalepena peppers - drained
2 cans of black beans - well rinsed and drained
1 can of whole kernal corn - drained
1 can of artichoke hearts - drained and chopped
1 can of sliced black olives
1 cup of salad olives - drained
Serve in bowl. Top with any and all of the following.
shredded mozzerella cheese
chunks of avocado/ with a sprinkle of True Lime crystalized lime juice or lime juice
light sour cream
Serve with yellow corn chips (counting out one portion is recommended)

Leftovers? Oh, good! I have used leftovers in all the following ways.
(1)Spread VeggieMex in 12-inch non-stick skillet. Heat until fairly dry. Cover with fresh baby spinach. Cover to wilt spinach. Then pour whisked eggs over top. Cover. When mostly set, sprinkle with mosserella cheese. Cover again until cheese is melted. (Don't let bottom burn.) Cut into wedges and serve. (Good with dry toast or corn chips.)
(2) Serve cold as a green salad topping. Surprisely good.
(3) Spread (cold) in shallow dish, top with cheese, avodaco sprinkled with lime, light sour cream. Serve as dip with yellow corn chips. (I took this to a gathering. It was devoured.)

I made up the above recipe. I count 7 servings of vegetables in the base mix. It is usually the first thing I make when R/C/U&U is leaving for a sale and ES and I will both be eating. It lasts in various ways for several days. Yum.

I would like to have more recipes like this.

1 comment:

susan said so said...

VeggieMex sounds YUMMO! I'll have to try it; I know MSW (My Sweet Wife) will love it. :)

Questions:

1) Are you keeping a food log as you go, or tallying at end-of-day? I'll have to do it as I go; I'll start tomorrow. Must find a notebook I like, which won't be a problem, as that's one of those things I tend to pick up at bookshops, the office supply aisle, thrift stores...

2) Crystallized lime juice? Hmmm, never tried it. You recommend?

3) Who/what is R/C/U&U?

4) Have you had a chance to check out the links I've added to the sidebar (right-hand column, over there --->)? Hungry Girl is a goldmine of recipes and swaps.

What you ate yesterday doesn't count, since we officially start tomorrow. Yikes.

xox,
Susan

Since I'm at work all day I have to plan ahead for breakfast (I don't get up early enough to eat breakfast at home, so I eat on my drive or at my desk. Not perfect, but at least I'm eating breakfast most days!), lunch, and snacks, otherwise I end up starved then overeat at dinner. Not a good tactic for weight loss.