Saturday, September 25, 2010

Luna Log - Saturday, 09/25/2010

Today I made my second batch of granola. This time I did not put in the nuts or dried fruit. We can add fresh or dried fruit, and nuts, "as we go". I made other changes as well. I did not put in the brown sugar, or replace it, although I think I could have put in Splenda. So, this batch has less sugar, ergo less calories. Of course, it still contains the honey. Middle Sister said it smelled like I was baking oatmeal cookies. I love oatmeal cookies. Hmmm. I think I'll look for a recipe for oatmeal cookies and modify it.

Maybe tomorrow I will try to use some of my granola to make granola nut clusters like the Nature Valley oh-my-god-expensive and oh-my-god-not-healthy granola nut clusters. I think I can use a small amount of honey for "glue", mixed with the granola, an almond, and 1 or 2 dried cherries for each cluster, then roll it in Splenda to finish and make not-sticky on the outside. If this works, eating granola on the go will be much easier. The process will probably involve very sticky fingers. Maybe I can enlist someone to help and form an assembly line. Volunteers are allowed to sample. Any volunteers?

The corncakes (corn pancakes) are good reheated in the microwave for 10 seconds.

I've looked at some sweet potato recipes, but haven't found a main dish that sounds interesting, doesn't involve lots of ingredients, and would be something we would likely eat. Any one?

1 comment:

susan said so said...

I LOVE corncakes! And granola. And all carbs...

Sweet potatoes? I like them one way only: baked, with butter, salt, and pepper.

gonna post right now on my cereal discovery of the freakin' century!

xox,
susan