Sunday, September 26, 2010

cereal fix!

So it's no secret I love carbs. Sweet carbs, savory carbs, salty carbs. Crunchy carbs. Warm carbs. Cold carbs. If it's made with a grain or a potato I like it. Scratch that - LOVE it.

Cold cereal is one of my all-time favorites, especially for dinner, or bedtime snack. But I don't want just a measly little 3/4 cup serving, ever, thank you very much. Seriously, why bother?



Cereal can be a calorie-laden, sugary mess, but it doesn't have to be. I have discovered 2 magic ingredients that changed everything: 

  • flavored soy milk
  • fat free liquid coffee creamers
Here's the deal -

Buy a bag/box each  of 3 varieties of unsweetened whole grain flakes, puffs, and "o"s ... (rice puffs, shredded wheat, corn puffs, etc) and mix it all up in a big airtight container. 

When you're ready to have a cereal chowdown, fill your bowl up with those styrofoam/cardboard flavored  delights. THEN work the magic... 



Pour on lite vanilla soy milk...and then (get ready, because this is the truly dee-lish part) add 1-2 tablespoons lite/fat-free flavored coffee creamer. Stir it around a little, and take a bite.  I KNOW, right? AMAZING!




For just a few calories, you just turned a bowl of healthy-but-horrid grains into a delicious-and-healthy meal. Caramel, chocolate,vanilla, hazelnut, ANY flavor of creamer will do the trick. Works a treat in oatmeal, too.

Trust. You will like.

Let me know when you try it. :)

xox,
Susan

Oh, P.S. - I stir in a few tablespoons of flax seed for good measure. 

No comments: