Friday, October 22, 2010

Power Cookies Recipe

Susan, As requested recipe follows as found online at allrecipes.com. My comments and revisions follow that.

Power Cookies By: Healthy
"These are high fiber, high protein, low in fat and absolutely delicious cookies that make a terrific snack. You won't believe how good they are! Any dried fruit or nuts are recommended as additions to this recipe."

View Prep Time: 15 MinCook Time:
15 MinReady In: 30 Min
Original Recipe Yield 18 cookies

Ingredients
4 cups rolled oats
1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped pitted dates
1/2 cup flaked coconut
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Directions
1.Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets. Grind the oats in a blender until resembling coarse flour.
2.In a medium bowl, mash beans to a smooth paste. Stir in the white sugar, brown sugar and vanilla until well blended. Combine the ground oats, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon; blend into the bean mixture. Stir in the dates, coconut, raisins and walnuts. Drop dough by heaping spoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheet.
3.Bake for 10 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until golden. Cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes then remove to wire racks to cool completely.
Nutritional Information
Amount Per Serving Calories: 147 | Total Fat: 1.9g | Cholesterol: 0mg

I assume that the recipe is missing one ingredient because I had to add liquid to form a dough. I used what I had, which was water (3/4 cup), but next time I will use apple cider or apple sauce. When I got to the fruit and nuts, again I used what I had, which was raisins, dried cherries, and almonds. I don't think changing the fruit and nuts explains the need for liquid. One more change I made: I replaced the white sugar with Kroger Apriva no calorie sweetener, which contains maltodextrin and sucralose. I left the brown sugar in because I think it probably contributes to the taste, not just the sweetness - maybe could use honey or molasses or sorghum, but I don't know how that would affect calories or taste. I baked a dozen cookies in my toaster oven at 325F as suggested. I baked longer, about 20 minutes. Next time I'll add more liquid so the dough will spread out some when baked. Maybe could increase temp to 350F. I put the rest of the dough in a container in the fridge. It should keep for longer than it will last at our house. Since I will use this recipe again, I will rearrange it into the form I prefer and save in my recipe folder in favorites. If you like, I'll email it to you in that format when it is done.

(Steve was unaware that the recipe contains beans. He likes the cookies. He also likes the granola nut clusters, which I think need improvement.) (I wonder if Shaw, being from California, has ever heard of sorghum. Isn't that a Southern thing?)

Okay, rambled long enough. Love and sweet treats, Luna

No comments: